Skip to main content
Menu Menu

Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)

The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) can help you to learn English.

The AMEP provides free English lessons and childcare to eligible migrants, and refugees. There is no cap on English language training hours.      

The free Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)(opens in a new tab)  (opens in a new tab) is funded by the Australian Government.

AMEP brochure (2 MB) (PDF document)

What will I learn?

You will learn English to help you settle in Australia.

You will learn about Australian society, culture, customs and working in Australia.

You will learn speaking, listening, reading and writing skills - for everyday living, for work and for further study.

    How to apply

    To find out if you are eligible for this program please phone the Albany campus on 1800 675 781, or email

    Following that one of our AMEP team will contact you to organise an interview so we can assess your English level and arrange a suitable learning plan for you.

    People eligible for the AMEP program can complete a Certificate of Spoken and Written English at the following South Regional TAFE campuses:

    • Albany
    • Bunbury
    • Busselton
    • Katanning
    • Margaret River
    • Mount Barker


    AMEP Volunteer Tutor Program

    The Volunteer Tutor Program is a part of the AMEP. It offers informal language tutors to help migrants and refugees to improve their English.

    The Program relies on trained volunteers who work on a one-to-one basis, outside the classroom environment, either online or face to face.  

    Every AMEP student is offered the opportunity by SR TAFE for Volunteer support for 1 hour per week. 

    Volunteer Tutors play an important role to support new Australians to settle into the Australian culture and improve their English. 

    If you are interested in becoming a volunteer tutor, please email and someone from our friendly team will contact you to organise a follow up interview and provide more information.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    You don’t need to speak another language or be a teacher.  You do need to be able to speak and write English.  

    We would love other migrants or refugees to apply.   As an AMEP volunteer tutor, you will receive comprehensive training, as no previous teaching experience is required.

     As a volunteer, you will be fully supported to be confident in your role.  AMEP has high quality support online resources to help you in your tutor role.  

    • A volunteer tutor works with an AMEP student for 1 hour per week over a six month period.    Of course, AMEP volunteers are welcome to spend more time if they wish. 
    • Completes a free upfront online training program with ongoing help from the TAFE Teacher. 
    • Uses the Home Tutor Resource Packs to help students at all levels of their English learning journey. 
    • Contact with the student can be face to face or via video calls.
    • If meeting face to face you may choose to meet in the TAFE Library, in a cafe or other venue agreed by yourself and the student. 
    • Lesson times are flexible and can be anytime -whatever suits the student and yourself.

    Being a volunteer tutor means you will be: 

    • Offered free training with TAFE teacher support via A Course in Volunteer English Language Tutoring
    • Be part of a dynamic and committed volunteer team
    • Meet new people, including students and TAFE staff
    • Develop new skills or build on existing knowledge
    • Learn about other languages and cultures
    • Make a difference and give back to your community
    • Be able to read and write English 
    • Access to a digital device – PC, laptop, smart phone or tablet
    • Desire to help others learn
    • Small amount of time each week 1 hour per student you tutor
    • Able to commit to flexible part time training online ( around 16 hours)  with the support a TAFE teacher.
    • Able to commit for 6 months
    • Offer your service at no cost.   

    The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is funded by the Australian Government and administered by the Department of Home Affairs.